Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Kurt Vonnegut was an American  P.O.W being held in Dresden  Germany during WW2 when U.S air force  and RAF totally destroyed the city. I Decided to read this because my wife's grandad was also a pow (uk) in Dresden at the time of the firebombing (which KV estimates as killing 130,000 and thereby being the biggest massacre in European history) He was a changed man after the war apparently in body and mind๐Ÿ˜ฎ
When you read a lot of books you become used to the genre/literal patterns. This book takes those guidelines and blows them apart. For a start its the only war/time travelling/space travelling/family saga/ semi autobiography I have read. In addition the tone is passive, fatalistic and almost apathetic. Nonetheless it seems to flow. A thought provoking read, I was still thinking about this book days after finishing it. Its surrealism may put some off. Its what people in the UK would call a marmite book. You'll either love it or hate it with no middle ground. I am in the former group. If 4* is good and 5* is amazing I would give it a 4 and a half. After reading this book I googled Dresden and found a youtube clip of a ex paratrooper who was there being in interviewed on uk breakfast tv was absolutely gob smacking! KV employs a clever trick  every time a death is mentioned  he uses the phrase "so it goes" and now it is stuck with me. If a hear of a death my lil brain says "so it goes" or if I hear "so it goes" I think of death. Happy days eh! ๐Ÿ˜‰. At lthe end of the book I still didnt know if our hero had PTSD, a brain injury from a plane crash or weather he was actually abducted by aliens and transported through time! Thats a hell of a last comment of a review. So will say no more than ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Pilgrimage Around Wales

  You can buy "A Pilgrimage Around Wales"... Here 157 pages The Blurb... In 2015 Anne Hayward spent three months as a pilgrim, tra...